Beets. Perhaps you love them, or you don’t 🙂
I personally love them, whether roasted, pickled, or even raw. Yep RAW. Recently I discovered if you grate them raw and mix with carrots and cabbage, drizzle some tahini and applce cider vinegar and you’ve got a rawkin’ salad party!
Some people say they don’t like beets because they taste like dirt. And they kind of do actually. But you can and should learn to love them for all of the great reasons you’ll read below.
My general rule for any new food is you have to try it at least three times (sometimes up to ten) before you start to love it. Trust me, it works. If you don’t care for beets, just try them prepared differently and on multiple occasions. They’ll grow on you.
Here are my top 9 reasons to love beets:
- Beets have a gorgeous color. Afterall, food has to be esthetic as we do eat with our eyes first.
- Beet juice has been proven to enhance athletic performance and stamina. Got a marathon coming up? Eat your beets!!
- Beets are a natural aphrodisiac.
- Beet juice can be used as a natural red food coloring and dye.
- Beets contain trytophan, which relaxes the mind and creates a sense of calmness. (Another proof that food can be healing).
- Beets are tasty and can be prepared a variety of ways. Try them raw (grate them into salads), roasted, pickled, steamed, boiled, juiced, or pureed.
- Beets are full of essentials vitamins and minerals to keep your cells functioning beautifully.
- Beets are high in fiber — helpful for keeping the bowel healthy.
- Beets, especially when consumed raw, purify the blood.
Experiment and see what works for you. Incorporating beets into your diet, even if on occasion, is a great way to boost your health + stamina + endurance + libido 😉