Raw Almond Milk
Making your own raw almond milk is so simple, fast and delicious that I wonder now why I ever hesitated to try it. All you really need is almonds and water, although I recommend adding Medjool dates for sweetness and even some vanilla for extra flavor if you like.
Homemade almond milk is so delicious with everything – from adding in your smoothies to topping raw muesli and cereal, or simply enjoyed in a glass on its own.
It’s just right. Rich, creamy, and milky. Mmmmm.
- 1 cup almonds
- pinch salt + water to cover
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup ice
- Add salt to almonds and cover with water.
- Soak 8-12 hours or overnight at room temperature. *See note
- Drain almonds, rinse and peel.
- Add almonds to blender with 1½ cups water, dates and vanilla bean powder.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and 2/3 cup ice and blend again.
- Strain through nut milk bag, squeezing pulp thoroughly to extract as much almond milk as possible.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
*ideally we want to soak the almonds prior to making almond milk for easier digestion and to extract most of their nutrients. However if you want to skip this step, you can also make the almond milk from regular raw almonds.